She felt neglected by her husband: Woman faked her own kidnapping to garner attention!

She felt neglected by her husband: Woman faked her own kidnapping to garner attention!

SG Gazette·2018-02-21 12:47

Read up on the latest news >>>

Is this some new way of flirtation that we don't know about? 

25-year-old Veronica Tay Ting Ting had felt neglected by her husband, and thus claimed she had been kidnapped to China to the police to gain his attention again.

She lied to the police that three men had abducted her and taken her to the airport on 20 August 2015.

Tay’s husband Thong Meng Fie had lodged a police report on 20 August 2015 when Tay did not return from her New Industrial Road workplace after a smoke break.

She had texted Thong earlier saying she was sorry and told him to take care of himself. Later, she sent voice messages on WeChat saying that she’d been drugged and held captive by an unknown man.

One of the men had pulled her into a car according to her messages, and covered her mouth and switched off her mobile phone. She claimed they took her to Changi Airport Terminal 2 and boarded a flight to Ningbo, China.

After five days, they released her and she returned to Singapore on her own on 27 Aug that year.

The police launched extensive investigations, but found that none of her claims were true after reviewing closed-circuit television footage.

She later confessed that she had lied in the earlier statement and had staged the incident to garner attention from her husband.

She was also charged with taking $1,429 from her part-time job at a Triumph store at One KM Mall in Tanjong Katong, in November that same year. She failed to deposit the daily sales proceeds to Triumph International's bank account from 8 to 16 Nov 2015, funds amounting to $1,429. Part of the money she’d misappropriated was given to her husband to pay off his debts.

She had left Singapore on 17 Nov 2015 and was only arrested on 12 Oct 2016 when she returned.

Her sending messages and making calls to her husband to fool him into thinking that she was kidnapped was also included in her charges. For these actions, she was charged with making threatening communications. This charge was considered in sentencing.

In total, she was fined $5,000 for both charges on Tuesday (20 Feb). However, as Tay could not pay the fine, she will serve five weeks in jail.

(Image Credit/s: Walls Cover, The Inquisitr, The Express Tribune)

Read up on the latest news >>>

Get the sweetest deals here >>>

Satisfy your belly at these places >>>

Entertain yourself with these latest movies >>>


Read full article on SG Gazette

Singapore Fine abduction