MCMC questions influencer trio over 'leftovers' video
PETALING JAYA: The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) has questioned three individuals seen in a video giving leftover food to a homeless person.
The MCMC said the trio had their statements recorded at Iskandar Puteri police headquarters in Johor.
In a statement on Tuesday (Aug 5) MCMC added that they seized three mobile phones and SIM cards from the three.
The MCMC described the video as "extremely offensive" and said the actions of the three youth had sparked criticism and touched on sensitive matters.
It said investigations are being conducted under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 for improper use of network facilities, an offence which carries punishment of up to two years imprisonment and a maximum fine of RM500,000 or both, if convicted.
The MCMC said it would continue to strengthen the implementation of digital literacy initiatives through campaigns and to create a digitally literate society that is ethical and responsible.
It said such initiatives are to encourage online content that is ethical and civilized and to create noble values in the country's digital ecosystem.
In the video, the trio are seen eating at a fast food restaurant and placing chicken bones in a pack of rice.
They then hand it to a homeless man who is sleeping on the sidewalk.
The man appears shocked after opening the packet but responds with a simple gesture of thanks.
Following backlash from netizens, the trio later issued a video apology. They claimed the man had been informed about the filming beforehand and had consented to it.
They also claimed that the chicken bones were not his actual meal and they had given him a full meal of chicken with rice earlier.
……Read full article on The Star Online - News
Entertainment Malaysia
Comments
Leave a comment in Nestia App