Rugby-Italy coach Quesada receives two-match ban for comments about referee

Rugby-Italy coach Quesada receives two-match ban for comments about referee

The Star Online - Sport·2026-07-16 19:01

July 16 (Reuters) - Italy coach ⁠Gonzalo Quesada has been handed a two-match suspension ⁠for comments he made following his side’s defeat ‌by New Zealand last week, World Rugby said on Thursday.

In an interview with Sky Sport after Italy's 47-17 thrashing in the Nations Championship, ​Quesada said referee Luc Ramos was "super ⁠poor" and that the margin ⁠of their defeat was made bigger by the actions of ⁠the ‌referee.

The Argentine coach also slammed the scheduling of Italy's games, after they began their campaign ⁠with a 27-10 defeat by Japan in Tokyo, ​before flying to ‌Wellington to face New Zealand. They next face ⁠Australia in ​Perth on Saturday.

In a statement, World Rugby said, "an automatic two-match suspension has been issued to Gonzalo Quesada, which includes a ban ⁠on all match-day activity, including being ​present in the stadium, as a result of comments made in broadcast."

Quesada, who has the right to appeal, was suspended ⁠following the introduction of a new rule this month by World Rugby called the Match Official Abuse Sanction Process.

The process applies across elite competitions and is designed to ​protect match officials.The Italian Rugby Federation ⁠said it had taken note of World Rugby's decision and ​would appeal.

Italy are at the bottom ‌of the Northern Hemisphere standings ​in the Nations Championship after their two losses.

(Reporting by Aadi Nair in Bengaluru; Editing by Thomas Derpinghaus)

……

Read full article on The Star Online - Sport

Entertainment Malaysia