The death and exhumation of Zara Qairina: A chronology

The death and exhumation of Zara Qairina: A chronology

New Straits Times·2025-08-10 11:00

KUALA LUMPUR: Form One student Zara Qairina Mahathir was found unconscious near a dormitory drain at SMKA Tun Datu Mustapha Limauan, Sabah, at 3am on July 16 and later died.

Her death, believed linked to bullying, sparked national outrage after allegations involving prominent figures, prompting calls for justice and widespread grief under the hashtag #JusticeForZara.

Chronology of Events:

July 16: Zara Qairina was found unconscious in a drain near the school dormitory at 3am. She was reported to have fallen from the third floor of the dormitory and was admitted to Queen Elizabeth I Hospital.

Featured Videos

July 17: Zara Qairina was pronounced dead and later buried at Kampung Kalamauh Mesapol, Sipitang.

July 18: Education Minister Fadhlina Sidek said the ministry was fully cooperating with police and allowing the investigation to proceed without interference.

July 21: Zara Qairina's mother, Noraidah Lamat, called for a transparent, fair, and just investigation into her daughter's death. She revealed the last time she saw her only child was during a school gotong-royong programme on July 12.

July 28: Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Jauteh Dikun said a thorough investigation was being carried out from all angles and urged the public to remain calm and avoid speculation.

July 30: Deputy Higher Education Minister Datuk Mustapha Sakmud denied any involvement in the case, either by himself or his wife, former principal Rosnih Nasir, who served from 20 March to 22 November 2024 before retiring. He described allegations raised in Parliament as baseless and damaging to his reputation.

July 31: Police confirmed they were in the final stages of their investigation. Commissioner Jauteh Dikun said the investigation papers had been submitted to Bukit Aman for final review before being forwarded to the Attorney-General's Chambers (AGC). A total of 60 individuals had their statements recorded.

Aug 1: Zara Qairina's mother requested her daughter's body be exhumed to allow a post-mortem to be conducted in pursuit of answers and justice. Lawyers were instructed to initiate legal proceedings for the exhumation.

Aug 6: Lawyers representing the victim's mother urged the public to refrain from speculation that could cause distress to the family and potentially result in criminal consequences.

The AGC returned the preliminary investigation report to police with instructions to complete the probe. The AGC also advised the public not to spread unverified information or share images of children allegedly involved in the case.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohd Khalid Ismail warned that the dissemination of inaccurate content could jeopardise the investigation and deny justice.

Aug 7: Zara Qairina's mother was set to hand over her mobile phone containing an audio recording of a conversation between herself and her late daughter to the police to aid the investigation.

The Education Ministry lodged over 10 police reports regarding misleading posts and videos related to the case, citing concerns over potential public harassment towards teachers and students.

Communications Minister Datuk Fahmi Fadzil urged the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) and police to ensure a thorough investigation. The MCMC also warned against the spread of false information. Zara Qairina's mother gave her statement at the Sipitang police station.

The Education Ministry assured parents of its commitment to improving safety in boarding schools, noting that the country's 72 fully residential schools remain a top choice for families.

Aug 8: The AGC returned the investigation papers to police, instructing further action, including the exhumation of Zara Qairina's

……

Read full article on New Straits Times

Malaysia SE Asia News